3Emotion stands for Environmentally friendly Efficient Electric Motion
The project will bridge the gap between current fuel cell bus demonstration projects and larger scale deployment and the procurement foreseen by the FCH-JU Bus commercialization study. A targeted expansion of the EU fuel cell bus demonstration activities in five key EU bus markets demonstrate the potential value of this technology for bus fleets.
Through the exchange of information about the experiences from daily FCB operations in this locations (Antwerp, Cherbourg, London, Rome, Rotterdam) decisions makers, transport authorities will be informed about:
- the movement towards cost effective integration of FC Buses in local bus fleets
- the enhancement of the technical availability of the buses
- the common technical and safety specifications for Refueling Infrastructure are
- the toolkit for the identification of a proper mix of incentives to support the market demand side
- the evolution of fuel cell buses (from CHIC to 3Emotion)
3Emotion will also develop a transferability plan and inform about the effective development strategy towards the FCB and HRS commercialization.
3Emotion Bus Targets
- Articulated buses on hydrogen (18 meters)
- Integration of latest technologies to lower TCO
- Lower hydrogen consumption (<10 kg/100 kilometer)
- Increase lifetime
- Increase warranties
- Availability > 90%
- Reduce bus investment cost
- the European Union (EU) is committed to significantly reducing its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions – by at least 80 percent by 2050
- fuel cell buses, that reduce local emissions to zero, can contribute to decarbonising public transport
- the FCH-JU published a commercialization study for the roll out of zero emission public transport
- further emissions reductions (also in public transport) are therefore necessary if the EU is to meet its current – and future – climate targets
- different EU projects already demonstrated the potential value of fuel cell buses (fe CHIC, HyTransit, HighVLOCity, …)
- that only fully electric powertrain buses (based on hydrogen, batteries or trolley system) have the potential to achieve zero local emissions
The 3Emotion Consortium consists out of 14 partners with each a well defined contribution in the realization of the project objectives. There are 6 public transport operators, a refueling station operator, a bus manufacturer, a fuel cell manufacturer, a knowledge center for evaluation and partners that are responsible for dissemination and refueling research present in the consortium.
The project is supported by the EU through the FCH JU under grant agreement 633174 and by a series of local authorities.